La Verdadera Destreza de las armas

Foro dedicado a la Esgrima Antigua, Clásica, Histórica. También se habla de armas y armaduras, asi como de sus técnicas de combate.

Moderadores: Rorro González, Carlos Urgel (Cat), Marc Gener

Responder
Charles Blair

La Verdadera Destreza de las armas

Mensaje por Charles Blair » Dom Ago 05, 2012 3:03 am

Old topic; new twist.

This summer I've been practicing mixed martial arts, in the following sense: we keep the traditions separate, but we haven't been focussing on just one; sometimes it's Filipino, sometimes it's Western boxing, and so on. We practice outdoors, so it's a bit of a break from practicing fencing in the "salle." For one thing, one has to deal with uneven terrain, little obstacles (sticks, rocks) and the direction of the sun. I've done this kind of practice before in the summertime; it's an opportunity to learn a lot from different folks who know a lot, and breathe a bit of fresh air (both literally and metaphorically).

Today we were working on some kicking and blocking, and the instructor teaching it made a correction, pointing out that some of the attacks were being delivered on the center line. I decided to quiz him about it, to have him say what he meant in his own words, so I asked, Why should we stay off the center line? He said, If the two of you stay on the same line, you'll both get hit; you'll trade blows and both of you will be hit. I asked, So one should step off line? He said, either that or circle your opponent. He then demonstrated moving around his opponent. I decided to extend the discussion a bit and asked, Is this what they teach in Thai kick-boxing? He said, No: it's universal to the martial arts; sometimes you'll practice toe to toe, because you're working on a particular technique, but you don't fight like that. If you fight like that, the person with the best technique will have the advantage. (The sub-text here was, I think, that you can't guarantee you're the person with the best technique in a random encounter, which is what we were training for.)

When the particular technique in question was done correctly, the plane of the upper bodies was asymmetrical in the end: if we had started out with parallel planes, the defender would use footwork to move so as to step off line and angle the plane of the upper body from its original position (roughly 45 degrees in this case). This is pure de Viedma, Pacheco, and Rada (just to name the authors I can cite on this).

This instructor isn't (so far as I know) an academic. He knows how to fight, and he's well trained. Some of his tips are meant to work for fighting in the dark, not just in broad daylight, in street-fighting scenarios. I found it highly instructive that on the edge of a park in the middle of nowhere in particular someone would be so emphatic about, This is how you fight, and this is how you don't fight, and that what he said was so completely consonant with Destreza, because one still hears anti-Destreza nonsense, but I think it's safe to say that that nonsense is in fact academic, not born of true knowledge grounded in real-life, spontaneous antagonistic experiences, sometimes with weapons, and not just sport-fighting.

dlmanrg

Re: La Verdadera Destreza de las armas

Mensaje por dlmanrg » Vie Ago 24, 2012 10:07 am

Perdona he traducido esto con el translator, y como estoy acostumbrado a hablar a medía lengua... Un saludo.

Viejo tema; nuevo giro.

Este verano he estado practicando artes marciales mixtas, en el siguiente sentido: mantenemos las tradiciones separado, pero no se han centrado en una sola, a veces es filipino, a veces es el boxeo occidental, y así sucesivamente. Nos practicar al aire libre, así que es un poco de un descanso de la práctica de la esgrima en la "salle". Por un lado, uno tiene que tratar con desigual terreno, pequeños obstáculos (palos, piedras) y la dirección del sol. He hecho este tipo de práctica antes del verano, es una oportunidad de aprender mucho de diferentes personas que saben mucho, y respirar un poco de aire fresco (literal y metafóricamente).

Hoy estuvimos trabajando en algunas patadas y bloqueos, y la instructora hizo una corrección, señalando que algunos de los ataques se están entregando en la línea central. Decidí hacerle preguntas al respecto, para hacerle decir lo que quería decir con sus propias palabras, así que le pregunté, ¿Por qué deberíamos permanecer fuera de la línea central? Él dijo: Si los dos se queda en la misma línea, tanto usted como golpeado; podrás intercambiar golpes y ambos van a ser afectados. -Le pregunté, Así que uno debe dar un paso fuera de línea? Él dijo, o eso o rodear su oponente. Luego demostró moverse alrededor de su oponente. Decidí ampliar el debate un poco y preguntó: ¿Esto es lo que enseñan en tailandés kick-boxing? Él dijo: No: es universal a las artes marciales, a veces le practicará cara a cara, porque estás trabajando en una técnica particular, pero no se combate así. Si luchas de esa manera, la persona con la mejor técnica tendrá la ventaja. (El texto sub-aquí estaba, creo, que no se puede garantizar que usted es la persona con la mejor técnica en un encuentro al azar, que es lo que estábamos entrenando.)

Cuando la técnica en cuestión se ha realizado correctamente, el plano de la parte superior del cuerpo era asimétrico al final: si hubiéramos empezado con planos paralelos, el defensor usaría juego de piernas para moverse con el fin de dar un paso fuera de línea y el ángulo del plano de la parte superior del cuerpo de su posición original (unos 45 grados en este caso). Esto es puro de Viedma, Pacheco, y Rada (por nombrar sólo los autores que se citan al respecto).

Este instructor no es (hasta donde yo sé) un académico. Él sabe cómo luchar, y está bien entrenado. Algunos de sus consejos están destinados a trabajar para luchar en la oscuridad, no sólo a la luz del día, en escenarios de combates callejeros. Me pareció muy instructivo que a las afueras de un parque en el medio de la nada en una persona en particular podría ser tan enfático, Esta es la forma de luchar, y así es como no luchas, y que lo que decía era tan completamente consonante con Destreza, porque todavía se oye anti-Destreza tontería, pero creo que es seguro decir que esa tontería en realidad académica, no nace del verdadero conocimiento basada en la vida real, experiencias antagónicas espontáneas, a veces con las armas, y no sólo deporte de lucha.
Todo comienza con un pensamiento.

Charles Blair

Mensaje por Charles Blair » Sab Ago 25, 2012 2:26 am

Gracias a usted. :-)

Luis Miguel Palacio
Madrid
Madrid
Contactar:

Mensaje por Luis Miguel Palacio » Mar Ago 28, 2012 10:17 am

(Sorry, I had this answer pending since a long time ago)

On one hand, it's amazing to see how Destreza postulates are as "cross-sectional" as your summer experience shows. I already have seen something of the kind, but in the opposite sense: destreza terms and concepts fitting like a glove to empty-handed and knife oriental-based martial training.

But on the other hand... well, that's exactly what they intended, isn't it? I mean, when they spoke about "universal" and "science" stuff, they really meant it: they drained their brains dry to get the common kernel of what they saw and felt sword (or sable, or frail, or bill) in hand. And they got it to an extend that still surprise us, as you have just experienced.

Have a nice day.
"Mohamed, yo te aseguro
que en medio de estas querellas
si nos piden cien doncellas
nos ponen en un apuro"

Responder